12 Oct Video games meet comic books: learn more about Beyond a Steel Sky’s unique art style in a new dev diary
Paris – October 12, 2021 – Studio Revolution Software and publisher Microids are delighted to unveil a Dev Diary for Beyond a Steel Sky, exploring the game’s unique art style. From Charles Cecil, creator of the Broken Sword series, with art direction by Dave Gibbons, legendary comic book artist behind Watchmen, Beyond a Steel Sky is the spiritual successor to the classic Beneath a Steel Sky. The game will launch November 30 on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One consoles and Nintendo Switch.
In this new Dev Diary, Art Directors Dave Gibbons and Sucha Singh detail the artistic intent and process behind Beyond a Steel Sky. “What we’ve done is to give it a comic book look, because we felt it was really appropriate to the game” explains Dave Gibbons. To achieve this distinct comic book style, Revolution wrote a custom cel-shading tool, ToonToy, which emulates Dave’s hand-drawn comic book style in real time. As well as achieving an aesthetic objective, this visual style helps focus the eye on key, important background objects that are important for gameplay.
The game’s visual design developed from the close collaboration between Dave Gibbons and Revolution Software’s art team, thanks to a fruitful iterative process where each fed off the other’s expertise, both technically and artistically. “It’s a very fluid process, providing very fast feedback as well. I can do a couple dozen drawings and I’ll get feedback that same day.” adds Dave.
Of course, aspects of Beyond a Steel Sky’s art style take inspiration from Beneath a Steel Sky, featuring numerous references to the previous game. “But newcomers won’t need to have played the original to enjoy Beyond. Both sets of fans will be happy.” says Sucha Singh.
- A fascinating sci-fi world – An adventure set within a dynamic world, populated by willful characters driven by motivations that the player can subvert. In combination with a unique hacking tool, multiple solutions to puzzles emerge from player choices.
- A thrilling story full of humor – Unravel dark conspiracies, defeat a terrifying antagonist in this dramatic, humorous, cyberpunk thriller, which explores contemporary themes: social control, AI, and total surveillance.
- A unique 3D comic book art style – A beautifully detailed, comic-book styled world, from the mind of legendary comic artist Dave Gibbons.
- Ingenious puzzles – Intelligent puzzles are interwoven with an intriguing dramatic narrative to deliver a compelling gameplay experience.
Check out the game’s Beyond a Steel Book and Utopia Editions!
The Beyond a Steel Book Edition contains:
- An Exclusive Steelbook® featuring comic artwork from Dave Gibbons
- The game on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One consoles or Nintendo Switch
- The game’s Original Soundtrack (digital format)
- A Sticker Sheet
The Utopia Edition includes, in addition to all items available in the Beyond a Steel Book Edition:
- A Unique Collector’s Box
- An Exclusive Hologram Lamp
- A 50-page Mini Artbook
- 5 Holo-ad Cards
- Exchangeable Dog Tags (keychain & necklace)
- An Enamel Pin
- 2 XXL Premium Stickers
And there’s more!
Participating retailers will offer a set of exclusive bonuses for all retail pre-orders, including:
- An exclusive physical Foster Enamel Pin
- A 50-page digital Artbook
- 2 Comics from Dave Gibbons (in digital format)
*Bonuses available for pre-orders at participating retailers and locations. See retailers for availability and details.